P40 million in DOLE aid for displaced workers lost to scammers | Inquirer News
Close  

P40 million in DOLE aid for displaced workers lost to scammers

/ 05:12 AM September 16, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — Around P40 million in cash-for-work aid for pandemic-displaced informal workers in Quezon City has been taken by scammers, according to Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III.

The secretary asked the National Bureau of Investigation to go after the scammers after at least 100 residents from Quezon City admitted they posed as beneficiaries of the Department of Labor and Employment’s (DOLE) emergency employment program to get the aid even though they did not do any work.

ADVERTISEMENT

The pseudo beneficiaries said they were given P1,000-P2,000 each while the so-called coordinators took the lion’s share of around P5,000-P6,000.

Bello suspended the implementation of the Tulong Panghanapbuhay sa Ating Disadvantaged/Displaced Workers program in parts of Quezon City.

FEATURED STORIES

The labor coalition Nagkaisa said similar irregularities had been reported in San Fernando, Masbate, and urged the DOLE to expand the investigation.

—DONA Z. PAZZIBUGAN
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: COVID-19 pandemic, DOLE aid for displaced workers, financial aid scams, Silvestre Bello, TUPAD
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

News that matters

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.