Man swallows his Nokia phone, goes through 2-hour surgery after suffering pain
A man from Kosovo in southeastern Europe swallowed a whole cellphone, but had his life saved after undergoing a surgery.
The man (name withheld) swallowed a Nokia 3310 cellphone, as per Ekspres via Newsweek last Saturday, Sept. 4. He did not visit a doctor until four days later due to the pain caused by the device in his body.
It was not clear how or why he swallowed the phone.
The phone was removed after a two-hour-long surgery at a hospital in Pristina, Kosovo. Medical staff managed to retrieve it in three separate parts.
Skender Teljaku, the doctor who led the surgery, admitted that he was worried that the cellphone’s battery might explode and release toxic chemicals inaide the man’s body.
The procedure was done without having to cut the man’s stomach to find the cellphone’s location, Teljaku said on his Facebook page last Sept. 1. Instead, doctors used X-ray and endoscopic imaging to locate the device.
Teljaku assured that there were “no complications” with the procedure. The patient is now recovering and in good condition. Dana Cruz /ra
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.