Mayor Fresnedi puts 5 floors of Muntinlupa condo under lockdown
MANILA, Philippines — Five floors of the Anala Tower of Anuva Residences in Barangay Buli, Muntinlupa, have been placed under a 15-day extreme localized community quarantine (ELCQ) as the city’s confirmed COVID-19 cases breached 20,000.
The lockdown started at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 31, according to a statement issued by the city. It is the 12th area in the city to be put on lockdown in August.
Muntinlupa Mayor Jaime Fresnedi ordered the lockdown on the recommendation of the City Health Office (CHO), which noted the alarming rate of transmission in the condominium building.
The CHO said it took just two days for a COVID-19 infection to double in that building.
According to the Muntinlupa CHO, a surge in COVID-19 cases was recorded in the building after the attack rate of 41.75 per 10,000 population from the previous week increased 167.01 per 10,000 population, as of Aug. 31.
Of the latest confirmed cases in the condo, one patient has been recorded to have died.
Anala Tower has 479 occupants some of them in high-risk groups — 17 senior citizens, two persons with disability, a pregnant woman, and 11 children aged 5 years and below.
All residents on the locked-down floors are barred from going out except for emergencies.
In an online meeting, Fresnedi explained that the prohibition included Authorized Persons Outside of Residence (APOR), who would only be allowed to go out in case of an emergency.
Those who are coming from work while the lockdown is already in effect will not be allowed to go out again.
Meanwhile, the condominium property manager said the management already imposed a granular lockdown on the building starting Aug. 27 before the declaration of the ELCQ.
The management had also closed its facilities — a swimming pool, an al fresco lounge, a sky lounge, and a garden area with seating.
It also prohibited the residents from doing any forms of outdoor exercise. Construction and property repairs had also been also suspended, while deliveries of all items, including food, were only allowed at a designated drop-off area.
The Muntinlupa CHO said it would conduct mass swab testing in the area and the city local police would enforce the lockdown measures.
The City Social Service Department and Barangay Buli will provide food packs and other basic items for the affected residents during the ELCQ.
Following are the areas in the city under lockdown:
- Unira Compound, Sto. Niño, Barangay Tunasan from Aug. 29 to Sept. 13
- Dizon Compound, Number 22, St. Bernard Street, San Jose Village, Barangay Cupang from Aug. 28 to Sept. 12;
- Two streets — Mahogany and Kamagong — in Villa Carolina 2, Barangay Tunasan from Aug. 24 to Sept. 8;
- Building 2, BLISS Complex, Barangay Putatan from Aug. 23 to Sept. 7
- Building 17 in Filinvest Socialized Housing, Barangay Alabang from Aug. 19 to Sept. 2
- Five streets — Angelo, Horrilleno, Endencia, Paredes, and Barrera — in Katarungan Village, Barangay Poblacion from Aug. 19 to Sept. 2.
Meanwhile, the city has reached its 20,000 mark on total COVID-19 confirmed cases as of August 31.
To date, the Muntinlupa has recorded a total of 20,009 COVID-19 infections, with 2,543 active cases, 17,071 recoveries, and 449 deaths.
Nationwide, the Department of Health so far recorded a total of 1,989,857 COVID-19 infections, with 145,562 active case, 1,810,847 recoveries, and 33,448 deaths.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.