Condo denies hand in Cebu lawyer's slay | Inquirer News
Close  

Condo denies hand in Cebu lawyer’s slay

By: - Reporter / @nestleCDN
/ 04:36 PM August 30, 2021

CEBU CITY––The management of a condominium in this city has denied involvement in the death of a lawyer, who had staged a hunger strike, to protest the imposition of dues, before he was shot last week.

In a statement, the Bamboo Bay Condominium Corp. (BBCC) said it was “shocked” upon learning of the killing of human rights lawyer Rex Jesus Mario Fernandez, 64.

ADVERTISEMENT

“While he recently staged a hunger strike over unresolved issues, we already started a dialogue moving forward. We denounce any insinuations linking his death to the issue,” it said.

BBCC hoped that the real assailants and mastermind would be put behind bars.

FEATURED STORIES

“Atty. Fernandez is a member of our community. This is a horrific and senseless act,” the statement said.

“We express our deepest condolences to his family. We join the call for justice and echo the cry of the family of Atty. Fernandez that justice will not be served until people responsible for his killing are punished,” it added.

On Aug. 13, Fernandez held a “hunger strike” after the management of BBCC cut his water supply for non-payment of condominium corporation dues.

He stopped it after five days upon the advice of his physicians because he was developing ketosis that may affect his kidneys.

In a media interview before he died, Fernandez said he chose not to pay since the law states that condominium corporation dues are for “common areas,” such as hallways, roads, and swimming pools.

He said the management should not compel homeowners to pay P90 per square meter, equivalent to P3,240 per month, and that payments should be voluntary.

In an Aug. 19 post on Facebook, Fernandez identified four individuals who, he said, should be investigated if he got killed.

ADVERTISEMENT

On Aug. 26, an assailant shot Fernandez while he was sitting on the passenger front seat of his car at the corner of R. Duterte Street in Barangay Guadalupe, Cebu City.

A stray bullet hit Darvie Pondar, Fernandez’s driver, who remained in critical condition at a private hospital in this city.

Fernandez’s secretary, who was at the back seat of the car, was unscathed.

Fund-raising drive

Stella Wingate, Fernandez’s daughter, has organized a fund-raising campaign for Pondar’s spine surgery.

“His family needs P150,000 ($3,000) to take the bullet out of his spine. That cost doesn’t include trying to see to his kidney. Please help us save Darvie,” read part of Wingate’s statement in gofundme.com.

Fernandez’s son Rex Rubens advised those who would like to donate to make sure they were sending their money to the authorized channel.

He said people could send their donations to Ayn Ilya Fernandez Ingking, through Globe GCash number 09171857602, and BPI account number 2289339984, as well as lawyer Alisha Tiu’s BDO account number 002450265216.

“Any help will go a long way. We highly appreciate the effort, and we want the money to go to where it is intended,” Rex Rubens said.

lzb

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Cebu City, condominium, death, dues, Hunger Strike, Lawyer, protest, Regions
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.