Gov't to reduce COVID-19 vaccine allocation in Metro Manila starting September | Inquirer News
Close  

Gov’t to reduce COVID-19 vaccine allocation in Metro Manila starting September

MORE SUPPLIES TO COME OUTSIDE THE NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION
By: - Reporter / @DYGalvezINQ
/ 05:03 PM August 26, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The government will lessen the allocation of COVID-19 vaccines in Metro Manila starting September and will boost jab supplies outside the nation’s capital region, Malacañang said Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT

According to presidential spokesperson Harry Roque, this is because Metro Manila has already vaccinated 50 percent of its population, thus, nearing the so-called population protection. He said more vaccine supply will instead be shifted to areas experiencing a surge of COVID-19 infections.

“Ang Metro Manila, mababawasan na ang ating [vaccine] allocation. Sa September, mahigit-kumulang na lang one million ang makukuha ng Metro Manila at sa 4th quarter, mahigit-kumulang four million na lang ang makukuha ng Metro Manila kasi 50% na nga ang nabakunahan,” he said in a Palace briefing.

FEATURED STORIES

(The vaccine allocation in Metro Manila will be lessened. In September, more or less only one million doses will be given to Metro Manila, and in the 4th quarter, the region will more or less get just four million because Metro Manila already vaccinated 50 percent of its target population.)

Roque said Region 4-A or Calabarzon will next get the lion’s share of the vaccine supplies.

Calabarzon is set to receive 3.8 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines in September and a total of 17.4 million doses in the fourth quarter of this year.

Meanwhile, Region 3 or Central Luzon will get a total of 17 million doses in the fourth quarter, he added.

“So, inaasahan natin na makakahabol ang Plus areas sa Metro Manila,” he added.

(We are expecting that other areas will catch up with Metro Manila in terms of vaccination.)

Roque issued these statements in response to Cavite Gov. Jonvic Remulla’s plea to the national government for more vaccines or let local governments procure their own supply.

ADVERTISEMENT

Remulla said the province requires at least 6 million COVID-19 vaccine doses to vaccinate 70% of its population in order to achieve herd immunity. However, he noted, Cavite has so far only received 4,000 doses a day, which is only good for 15 days.

“Sa 4,000 doses a day ay tinatayang aabot po tayo sa mahigit 770 na araw o 25 months bago matapos ang buong vaccination program. ANO ITO MATIRA ANG MATIBAY?,” the governor said in a Facebook post.

(With 4,000 doses a day, we would reach about 770 days or 25 months to finish our vaccination program. What is this, the survival of the fittest?)

“Ako po ay patuloy na nakikiusap na pahintulutan na sana kaming mga LGU na umangkat ng sarili naming vaccine supply,” he added.

(I am appealing to the national government to allow the LGUs to procure their own vaccine supply.)

URGENT PLEA“You cannot shake hands with a clenched fist.” 👊🏼- Indira Gandhi, former Prime Minister of India—On…

Posted by Jonvic Remulla on Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Calabarzon, Metro Manila, Remulla, September, vaccine supply
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.