All Sulu C-130 crash fatalities now identified
MANILA, Philippines—The fatalities in the Sulu crash of a Philippine Air Force C-130 have now all been identified, the military said on Friday (Aug. 20).
Those added to the identified list were Cpl Dexter E Estrada, Cpl Reynel A Matundin, Cpl Gulam H Ismael, Pfc Bengie S Malanog, Pvt Ian R Azuelo, Pvt Erwin M Canton, Pvt Mansueto B Lingatong III, Pvt Mar Jhun T Capagngan and Pvt Michael C Dalore from the Philippine Army, and A2C Glen Mar G Biscocho from the Philippine Air Force, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) said in a statement.
The remains of the soldiers had been brought to their hometowns. The AFP assured full support and assistance to their families.
“The memories of our brave comrades who paid the ultimate sacrifice will live on not only in their families but throughout the military organization who continues to risk everything to achieve just and lasting peace for our nation,” the AFP said.
At least 53 —50 out of 96 passengers of the C-130—and three civilians on the ground were killed in the crash last July 4.
The Philippine Army passengers of the PAF plane were recruits that were being sent on a mission to reinforce troopers fighting Abu Sayyaf, a homegrown terror group with links to Islamic State and which had been given safe haven in Sulu.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.