NCR's COVID-19 cases rise by 65% in past week; Pateros, Malabon at critical risk | Inquirer News
Close  

NCR’s COVID-19 cases rise by 65% in past week; Pateros, Malabon at critical risk

/ 01:51 PM August 04, 2021
swabbing manila

(FILE) A medical team collects specimens from overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) at a swabbing center set up at Palacio de Maynila events and exhibit center in Manila. —LYN RILLON

MANILA, Philippines — COVID-19 cases in Metro Manila jumped by 65 percent from last week, the Department of Health (DOH) said Wednesday as it flagged Pateros and Malabon as under critical risk and 13 other areas under high risk for coronavirus case trend.

Dr. Alethea De Guzman, OIC-Director of the DOH Epidemiology Bureau, said Metro Manila saw 1,596 average daily COVID-19 cases from July 28 to August 3, significantly higher compared to only 967 average cases from July 21 to 27; 749 cases from July 14 to 20; and 638 cases from July 7 to 13.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Reported cases in NCR jumped to 1,596—65 percent higher than last week,” she told an online town hall session organized by Go Negosyo.

She noted that Metro Manila is seeing a “steep” rise in cases.

FEATURED STORIES

According to De Guzman, Makati, San Juan, Pasay, Muntinlupa, Las Piñas, Parañaque, Navotas, Mandaluyong, Valenzuela, Pasig, Manila, Taguig, and Quezon City are under high risk classification for COVID-19 cases.

Only the cities of Marikina and Caloocan are under moderate risk classification in Metro Manila.

Metro Manila will be placed under enhanced community quarantine (ECQ), the strictest lockdown, from August 6 to 20 to stem the spread of the highly transmissible Delta variant.

Projections by the disease surveillance tool FASSSTER showed that Metro Manila could see a high of 510,268 active cases by the end of August if only general community quarantine with heightened restrictions will be imposed for the entire month, considering the presence of the Delta variant.

ADVERTISEMENT

If the region will have a one-week GCQ and a three-week ECQ, the active cases could reach 31,928 by the end of the month. But if a four-week ECQ will be imposed, the number of active cases could only go up to 19,584.

Metro Manila currently has 14,441 active cases of COVID-19 as of Tuesday, based on the tracker of the DOH. Nationwide, the number of active cases is 63,137.

RELATED STORIES

OCTA: Sampling shows PH’s Delta variant cases possibly at 2000-mark

Vaccinate kids below 18 years to get 80% COVID-19 vax coverage — exec

/MUF

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: coronavirus Philippines, COVID-19, Department of Health, malabon, Metro Manila, Pateros
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.