Another smuggled onions worth P86M from China seized in Subic port
SUBIC BAY FREEPORT — At least P86.2 million worth of alleged smuggled onions were confiscated again in this freeport, the Bureau of Customs (BOC) said Monday.
In a statement, the BOC in the port of Subic said they seized 23 containers of red onions from China consigned to a certain Duar Te Mira.
It was the same person who should have received the nine containers of smuggled onions that were confiscated here last month.
On July 9, the BOC confiscated 12 container vans here containing at least P24 million worth of alleged smuggled onions.
According to Subic Customs Collector Maritess Martin, the recent shipments arrived in two batches and were all misdeclared again as “chapatti bread.”
“This is a considerable volume of smuggled agricultural products for our port. A possible intent could have been to offload here in the north and pass these off as locally grown produce,” Martin said. INQ
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.