DOH counters OCTA: No 'early-stage' COVID-19 surge yet in Metro Manila | Inquirer News
Close  

DOH counters OCTA: No ‘early-stage’ COVID-19 surge yet in Metro Manila

By: - Reporter / @KAguilarINQ
/ 11:41 AM July 23, 2021

FILE Residents of Imus, Cavite avail of free swab tests initiated by the Office of the Vice President last July 12. Photo by Jay Ganzon / OVP

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Health on Friday said there is yet no “objective” basis to say that a surge of COVID-19 cases has started in Metro Manila amid the threat of more local transmissions of the more virulent Delta variant.

DOH spokesperson Ma. Rosario Vergeire said that reverting to stricter restrictions is only “anticipatory,” and not because a surge in cases is already ongoing.

ADVERTISEMENT

“When we try to revert [to stricter restrictions], this will be because it is anticipatory. Wala pa po tayong nakikita ngayon na objective basis that we will be announcing there is already a surge,” Vergeire said in a media forum.

“Ibigay po natin sa kanila yung totoong impormasyon at ang totoong impormasyon, maaari tayong dumating dyan sa pagtaas ng mga kaso. Pero sa ngayon, hindi pa natin nakikita yan,” she added.

FEATURED STORIES

(Let’s give the people the real information and the real information is, we may come to a point where we’ll have an increase in cases. But as of now, we’re not yet seeing that.)

Vergeire issued this statement after OCTA Research, an independent multidisciplinary agency monitoring COVID-19 trends in the country, called for an urgent response from the national government, given that a surge in COVID-19 cases is already “in its early stages” in Metro Manila.

The group said cases in Metro Manila increased 27 percent to 813 average new daily cases from July 15 to 21 from an average of 638 the previous week.

On Thursday night, the DOH confirmed that there is local transmission of the COVID-19 Delta variant after clusters of cases were seen linked to other local cases.

A total of 47 Delta variant cases have so far been detected in the country, 23 of which are local cases and 24 are returning overseas Filipinos.

Meanwhile, Metro Manila and the provinces of Ilocos Norte, Ilocos Sur, Davao de Oro, and Davao del Norte were placed under general community quarantine “with heightened restrictions” beginning Friday until July 31.

EDV

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: community restrictions, coronavirus Philippines, Delta variant, Department of Health
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.