NPA rebel surrenders twice in Pampanga
ANGELES CITY, Pampanga––A rebel returnee, who rejoined the New People’s Army (NPA) after failing to receive the cash and related benefits from the government, surrendered again on Tuesday, July 20.
The 30-year-old rebel initially surrendered to authorities in November last year. But he returned to the underground communist movement sometime last May because he did not receive the P186,000 financial and livelihood assistance from the government under the Enhanced Comprehensive Local Integration Program (ECLIP).
In a statement, the Police Regional Office 3 (PRO3) identified the rebel returnee only as “Boknoy/Mia,” a resident of Porac, Pampanga.
The PRO3 said Boknoy decided to just rejoin the NPA after waiting unsuccessfully for his ECLIP benefits for six months.
But while his re-integration with the NPA was still under “observation status,” Boknoy decided to surrender again to authorities, hoping to receive his ECLIP benefits this time.
The benefits include P186,000 in cash and livelihood assistance, payment for surrendered firearms, and housing, legal, medical, educational, and related assistance.
PRO3 director Brigadier General Valeriano de Leon said Boknoy turned over a caliber .38 revolver with one live bullet when he surrendered for the second time to the military and police.
He said the former rebel, who allegedly used to operate in Bataan, Pampanga, and Zambales under the NPA, is eligible to receive his ECLAC benefits.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.