9 areas in Ilocos Norte revert to stricter curbs | Inquirer News
Close  

9 areas in Ilocos Norte revert to stricter curbs

Ilocos Norte health workers conduct aggressive contact tracing

Health workers in Ilocos Norte province continue to conduct aggressive contact tracing to determine the virus carriers amid a surge in COVID-19 cases. (Contributed photo)

LAOAG CITY—At least eight towns and a city in Ilocos Norte will revert to the stricter modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) starting Friday, July 23, amid the rising number of COVID-19 cases, according to Gov. Matthew Marcos Manotoc.

In an executive order Wednesday, Manotoc said Batac City and Bangui, Dingras, Dumalneg, Marcos, Pagudpud, Paoay, Pasuquin, and Solsona towns would revert to the second most stringent community quarantine in the country, which would last until further notice.

ADVERTISEMENT

These areas were previously on a modified general community quarantine, the least constricting form of quarantine.

Batac has the second-highest number of active COVID-19 cases in the province with 185, followed by Bangui (99), Bacarra (91), Sarrat (84), Paoay (56), San Nicolas (52), Dingras (47), Pagudpud (42), Currimao (41), Pasuquin (34), Carasi (26), and Marcos (24).

FEATURED STORIES

Solsona and Dumalneg, which are already on MECQ, have less than 15 active COVID-19 cases.

Laoag City, which is also on MECQ since July 10, has 765 active cases.

Manotoc said the decision to place the nine areas under MECQ was initially planned based on his discussions with the mayors over the past few days.

While these areas are under MECQ, the movement of people will be limited to access to essential goods and services, and people below 18 and over 65 years old, those with health problems, and pregnant women are required to stay at home.

Manotoc also banned non-essential gatherings and imposed a curfew from 9 p.m. to 4 a.m.

As of July 21, Ilocos Norte has 5,891 COVID-19 cases, of which 1,624 remain active. Recoveries have reached 4,164, while the death toll stood at 103.

lzb

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: COVID-19, Gov. Matthew Marcos Manotoc, Ilocos Norte, MECQ, modified enhanced community quarantine, Regions
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.