Magnitude 5.4 earthquake strikes Davao Oriental
MANILA, Philippines — An earthquake of magnitude 5.4 struck the southern Philippine province of Davao Oriental early on Sunday, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said.
The following intensities were reported by Phivolcs:
- Intensity V (strong) – Governor Generoso, Davao Oriental
- Intensity IV (moderately strong)- Mati City, Davao Oriental
- Intensity III (weak) – Tampakan and Tupi, South Cotabato
- Intensity II (slightly felt) – Davao City; General Santos City; Kidapawan City; Kiamba, Sarangani
- Intensity I (scarcely perceptible) – Arakan, Cotabato
The agency said damage and aftershocks were expected from the earthquake, which had a depth of 42 km (26.1 miles) and was tectonic in nature.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.