Fencing around US Capitol coming down six months after Jan. 6 attack | Inquirer News

Fencing around US Capitol coming down six months after Jan. 6 attack

/ 10:28 AM July 11, 2021
us capitol fencing

Workers begin to remove security fencing that surrounds the U.S. Capitol in Washington, U.S., July 9, 2021. REUTERS

WASHINGTON — Workers began to remove the last of the high-security fence around the U.S. Capitol on Friday, more than six months after former President Donald Trump’s supporters launched a deadly assault on the home of the U.S. Congress.

The eight-foot-high (2.4-m) black mesh fencing at one point surrounded several blocks of Capitol Hill, interfering with pedestrian and vehicle traffic. The remaining sections, enclosing just the white-domed Capitol complex, will take about three days to remove, according to U.S. House of Representatives Sergeant-at-Arms William Walker.

ADVERTISEMENT

The decision to take down the remaining fence was based on the U.S. Capitol Police’s assessment of the current threat and improved coordination with local and federal law enforcement agencies, Walker said in a statement.

More than 535 people have been charged with taking part in the attack, when Trump supporters smashed windows, fought police and sent lawmakers and then-Vice President Mike Pence scrambling for safety.

FEATURED STORIES

Five people died during the violence and in the day after, including a Capitol Police officer. Two police officers who took part in the defense of the Capitol later took their own lives. More than a hundred police officers were injured.

The rioters were trying to stop Congress from certifying President Joe Biden’s election victory, which Trump falsely has said was the result of widespread fraud. Multiple courts, state election officials and members of Trump’s own administration have rejected his claims as unfounded.

Some 20,000 National Guard troops were called into the city to defend the building afterward, with the last contingent not leaving until May.

Walker said the temporary fencing can quickly be reinstalled if needed and that other restrictions on access to the Capitol will remain in place. Tourists and other visitors have been barred from entering the Capitol since last year due to social restrictions prompted by the COVID-19 pandemic.

As the removal work began on Friday, Democratic lawmakers expressed concern that Congress has not paid the bills of the Capitol Police who stepped up operations and worked overtime since the Jan. 6 attack.

The House narrowly approved $1.9 billion for Capitol security in May with no Republican support, but the legislation has stalled in the Senate, which is evenly divided along party lines. Senate Appropriations Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy, a Democrat, said action was needed, otherwise “Capitol Police projects they will deplete salaries funds sometime in August.”

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: attack, fencing, Politics, US Capitol, US Congress
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.