Police arrests ‘big time’ gun runner in Cavite, assorted guns seized
MANILA, Philippines — An alleged gun runner was arrested in Cavite by the Northern Police District (NPD) which led to the seizure of various guns, the Philippine National Police (PNP) said Wednesday.
PNP chief Gen. Guillermo Eleazar identified the suspect as John Bautista, a 33-year-old man residing in Barangay Bucandala IV, Imus, Cavite.
Citing a report from the NPD, Eleazar said Bautista was arrested after the NPD District Special Operations Unit (DSOU) received information about an ongoing transaction to sell loose firearms at a Facebook chat group.
After validating the information, DSOU operatives arranged a meeting with the seller at the Metropolitan Petron Gas Station along Macapagal Avenue, Pasay City at about 11 a.m., Wednesday, June 15.
In an entrapment operation by the DSOU, Bautista was arrested and firearms were seized, including:
• Thompson submachine gun cal .45 M1 SN 175291 with one magazine;
• MGV 176 Cal .22 LR SN 3037;
• STI 9mm with SN# KF 11205;
• Cobra Special Cal .38-no serial no.
• Cal .40 Smith and Wesson with SN NEH 8367 and
• CAL .45 COLT 38720
The NPD then conducted a follow-up operation in the suspect’s home, which led to the voluntary surrender by Bautista’s wife of more loose firearms.
The following firearms were surrendered:
• Assault Rifle FMK F/A (Tactical) Infant
• One Shotgun Mossberg T 851464
• One AK SN-A 502975
• One MA Carbine Cal. 5.56 MM SN 123561
• One US Carbine Defaced SN
• One .22 TCM SN TR008777
• One Sniper Rifle SN Defaced
• One Performance STR SW-SN Defaced
• One Taurus SN NDX 91540
• Assorted Box of Ammunition; Assorted Ammunition; Assorted Magazine
According to Eleazar, Bautista’s arrest would “reduce the proliferation of loose firearms and incidents of gun-related violence in Metro Manila, Calabarzon and nearby provinces.”
He also lauded the public’s help in arresting the said suspect.
“Malaking bagay ang tulong ng publiko upang mapanatili ng ating mga kapulisan ang kaayusan sa ating mga komunidad,” Eleazar said.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.