Signal No. 2 up in 11 areas; Metro Manila, other areas under Signal No. 1
MANILA, Philippines — The state weather service said 11 areas were under Tropical Cyclone Wind Signal (TCWS) No. 2 as tropical storm Dante moved west of Masbate.
In its latest bulletin, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) reported that Dante is currently off Masbate’s southwest coast and is headed towards Romblon.
“Si Tropical Storm Dante ay nakatawid na sa bahagi ng Samar provinces, kagabi and then kaninang madaling araw, tumawid ito sa southern portion of Bicol region particularly sa Masbate province,” weather specialist Benison Estareja said in a press briefing.
“Sa kasalukuyan, ito ay nasa western coastal waters of Balud, sa Masbate,” he added.
Pagasa hoisted TCWS No. 2 in 11 areas in which strong winds to gale-force winds could be expected within 24 hours:
- Extreme portion of Capiz, including Roxas City, Pilar, Ivisan, Panay, and Sapi-an
- Northern portion of Aklan including Batan, New Washington, Kalibo, Numancia, Nabas, Ibajay, Tangalan, Makato, and Malay
- Extreme northern portion of Iloilo including Balasan, Carles, Estancia and Batad
- Southern portion of Quezon including Tagkawayan, Sariaya, Lucena City, Pagbilao, Padre Burgos, Agdangan, Unisan, Atimonan, Plaridel, Gumaca, Pitogo, Lopez, Calauag, Guinayangan, Catanauan, General Luna, Macalelon, Buenavista, San Narciso, San Andres, San Francisco, Mulanay, Quezon, Perez, Alabat
- Extreme southeastern portion of Batangas, including San Juan, Lobo
- Central portion of Oriental Mindoro including. City of Calapan, Naujan, Pola, Victoria, Socorro, Pinamalayan, Gloria, Bansud, Bongabong, and Roxas
- Western portion of Camarines Norte including Jose Panganiban, Labo, Paracale, Capalonga, Santa Elena, and
- Western portion of Camarines Sur including Del Gallego, Ragay, Lupi, Sipocot, Libmanan, Pasacao, Pamplona, San Fernando
The state weather service also raised signal No.1 in Luzon and Visayas.
- Mountain Province
- Ilocos Sur
- La Union
- the eastern portion of Pangasinan including San Fabian, Mangaldan, Santa Barbara, Malasiqui, Basista, Bayambang, Bautista, Alcala, Santo Tomas, Rosales, Umingan, Balungao, City of Urdaneta, Asingan, Villasis, Santa Maria, Natividad, San Quintin, Tayug, San Nicolas, San Manuel, Binalonan, Laoac, Manaoag, Mapandan, San Jacinto, Pozorrubio, Sison, Dagupan City, Calasiao, San Carlos City, Urbiztondo, Mangatarem
- Southern portion of Isabela including San Mateo, Alicia, Echague, Angadanan, Jones, San Agustin, San Isidro, City of Santiago, Ramon, Cordon
- Nueva Vizcaya
- Quirino, Aurora
- Nueva Ecija
- Metro Manila
- the rest of Batangas
- the rest of Quezon including Polillo Islands
- the rest of Camarines Norte
- the rest of Camarines Sur
- the rest of Oriental Mindoro, and,
- Occidental Mindoro
- The western portion of Northern Samar
- the western portion of Samar including Calbayog City, Santa Margarita, Gandara, San Jorge, Tarangnan, Pagsanghan, City of Catbalogan, Jiabong, Motiong, San Sebastian, Calbiga, Pinabacdao, Santa Rita, Villareal, Talalora, Daram, Zumarraga, Tagapul-An, Almagro, Santo Niño
- Northen portion of Leyte including Babatngon, San Miguel, Barugo, Tunga, Carigara, Kananga,
- Matag-Ob, Palompon, Isabel, Merida, Ormoc City, Jaro, Tacloban City, Alangalang, Capoocan, Leyte, Villaba, Tabango, Calubian, San Isidro
- the northern and central portions of Cebu including Pinamungahan, Toledo City, Cebu City, Minglanilla, City of Naga, City of Talisay, Cordova, Lapu-Lapu City, Consolacion, Mandaue City, Liloan, Compostela, Balamban, Danao City, Asturias, Tuburan, Carmen, Catmon, Borbon, Sogod, Tabuelan, San Remigio, Tabogon, City of Bogo, Medellin, Daanbantayan, including Bantayan and Camotes Islands
- the northern portion of Negros Occidental including Moises Padilla, Hinigaran, La Castellana, San Enrique, La Carlota City, Valladolid, Pontevedra, Pulupandan, Bago City, San Carlos City, Salvador Benedicto, Murcia, Bacolod City, City of Talisay, Silay City, Enrique B. Magalona, City of Victorias, Manapla, Sagay City, Cadiz City, City of Escalante, Toboso, Calatrava,
- the extreme northern portion of Negros Oriental including Canlaon City, Vallehermoso
- the rest of Iloilo
- the rest of Capiz
- the rest of Aklan, and,
Meanwhile, there are no storm signals raised in Mindanao.
The center of Tropical Storm Dante was last spotted at 270 km East of Maasin City, Southern Leyte, Pagasa said.
Dante was packing a maximum sustained winds of 65 kilometers per hour (kph) near the center and retains the gustiness of up to 90 km/h and is moving west at 25 kph.
“Ito ay kumikilos pa-kanluran na na may bilis na 25 kph. Naging westward ang movement into dahil meron ridge or extension ng isang high pressure area dito sa may extreme northern Luzon kaya naiiwasan ang pag-akyat ni Bagyong Dante,” he noted.
The country is also monitoring another low pressure area outside the Philippine Area of Responsibility located at 1,135 km east of Visayas.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.