2 suspected NPA rebels killed in battle with Army troops in Negros Occidental
BACOLOD CITY, Negros Occidental, Philippines — Two suspected members of the New People’s Army (NPA) were killed in what government troopers described as an encounter in Barangay Bulwangan in Hinoba-an town, Negros Occidental on Saturday, April 17.
Maj. Cenon Pancito, spokesperson of the Army’s 3rd Infantry Division, said the two men — identified only as Micheal/Nonoy, and Ken-ken — died of gunshot wounds during a 40-minute firefight between the members of the 15th Infantry Battalion and Platoon 3 of the KR-NCBS (Kilusang Rehiyon – Negros Cebu Bohol Siquijor) Southwest Front.
“The relentless efforts of the soldiers forced the enemies to scamper in different directions, leaving their dead comrades behind,” Pancito said.
Recovered in the fight scene were two.45-caliber pistols with magazines and ammunition, a hand grenade, extortion letters, subversive documents, cellphones, and personal belongings.
There were no casualties among the government forces, Pancito said.
“The NPA terrorists were on their recovery and extortion activities and are sowing fear in the previously cleared areas of Hinoba-an, which prompted the local populace to immediately report their presence in the community,” he added.
Lt. Col Erwin Cariño, commander of the 15th Infantry Battalion, thanked the residents of Sitio Yuring, Barangay Bulwangan for giving “timely and accurate information on the presence and plans of the NPA terrorist in their locality.”
“We extend our condolences to the bereaved families of the two NPA terrorists who lost their lives in fighting for a lost cost. With the help of the local government of Hinoba-an, we can assure the assistance and decent burial of the deceased,” Cariño said.