10 villages on Lubang Island, Occidental Mindoro on lockdown due to surge in COVID-19 cases
CITY OF CALAPAN –– Ten villages in Lubang town in Occidental Mindoro are on lockdown from April 7 until April 21 due to the rise in coronavirus cases, said Wilhelm Suykom, director of the Regional Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) in a letter received by Lubang on April 7.
The interagency task force (IATF) of Lubang requested a localized lockdown or classification of Critical Zone or Enhanced Community Quarantine. This was approved Wednesday by the regional AITF of Mimaropa (Mindoro, Marinduque, Romblon, Palawan).
Of the 16 Lubang villages, those placed on lockdown were Maliig, Maligaya, Likas ng Silangan, Ninikat ng Pag-asa, Araw at Bituin, Paraiso, Banaag ng Pag-asa, Bagong Sikat, Maginhawa, and Tangal, said a report by the Department of Health in Mimaropa on April 8.
Since the pandemic was declared in March last year until April 4, Lubang has posted a total of 26 cases, 10 of which were still active as of April 5, the report added.
Lubang has the third-highest active cases in the province, with San Jose town on the mainland topping the list with 28 patients, followed by Mamburao, with 15.
The whole province logged 483 COVID-19 cases, 560 of which are still active, and 15 deaths.
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.