Persons under WPP safe despite COVID death of staff – DOJ chief
MANILA, Philippines—Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra on Thursday assured that persons under the Witness Protection Program (WPP) are safe despite the death of one of its personnel due to COVID-19.
“The others (personnel, security, and witnesses) are safe,” Guevarra told reporters.
The WPP employee was one of the 17 workers who recently tested positive for the virus and was the second DOJ personnel who passed away due to COVID-19.
Guevarra said the other employee, a female, died last Feb. 7 in a hospital.
To date, according to Justice Undersecretary Emmeline Villar, the DOJ has a total of 47 active cases, which is more than double from last year’s 18.
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.