Lucena COVID-19 death toll hits 67 | Inquirer News
Close  

Lucena COVID-19 death toll hits 67

By: - Correspondent / @dtmallarijrINQ
/ 12:55 PM March 20, 2021

LUCENA CITY – Another coronavirus disease (COVID-19) patient in this city has died, bringing the city’s total death toll to 67.

The Lucena public information office reported on Friday, March 19 that a confirmed virus carrier from Barangay Ibabang Dupay succumbed to the dreaded illness.

ADVERTISEMENT

No other details were provided on the fatality, the second in the city this month.

Meanwhile, the Integrated Provincial Health Office (IPHO) in its latest bulletin on Saturday, March 20 at 10 a.m. reported that since March 1, a total of 378 new COVID-19 cases were recorded in Quezon. In February, 342 new cases were listed.

FEATURED STORIES

Of the new cases, 347 are active.

According to Dr. Grace Santiago, IPHO head, the rising new cases were caused by transmission among infected family members.

“Most of them are symptomatic. They are relatives, getting infected by each other,” Santiago said Thursday, March 18.

Santiago also disclosed that they have been monitoring an increase in reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) tests in the province.

A household transmission happens when a family member who has worked outside the house got the virus, a COVID-19 contact tracer from this city explained.

“Even though the person has been showing COVID-19 symptoms, the family is in the denial stage. They all brush the signs aside as just an ordinary sickness because of the stigma associated with the virus carrier,” said the contact tracer, who requested anonymity, as they were not allowed to disclose information on their work.

“Until it’s too late. The whole family has already shown symptoms and eventually also got infected,” the informant added.

ADVERTISEMENT

Quezon, which is still under a modified general community quarantine, logged 7,638 COVID-19 cases since the pandemic was declared in March last year. A total of 7,021 have recovered while 270 died.

The Department of Health allocated 1,686 doses of the Sinovac vaccine, so far, for medical and health workers in Quezon province. The vaccination roll-out started on March 11.

/MUF

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: COVID-19, Death Toll, lucena, quezon
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.