‘Photo ops lang:’ Lorenzana says he wasn’t vaccinated with CoronaVac
MANILA, Philippines — Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana on Friday denied reports that he had been vaccinated with the COVID-19 vaccine from China’s Sinovac Biotech at the Southern Philippines Medical Center (SPMC) in Davao City.
Lorenzana said it just seemed that he was being vaccinated because they had a photo opportunity.
“Photo ops lang (It was for photo ops),” he said in a Viber message to reporters.
In earlier text messages to INQUIRER.net, Health Secretary Francisco Duque III and Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles, who were also at the launching of the COVID-19 vaccination at the SPMC, likewise denied that Lorenzana had been vaccinated with CoronaVac.
“No not true according to him (Lorenzana). No record of him or sec. [Silvestre] Bello getting vaccinated,” Duque said.
“Negative. Not true po,” Nograles also said.
Lorenzana earlier said he would have wanted to receive the Sinovac vaccine “to build trust and confidence among personnel,” but health experts advised that those over 59 should not be vaccinated with the said vaccine from China.
The Food and Drug Administration recommends using CoronaVac only for clinically healthy individuals aged 18 to 59, as clinical trials in Indonesia and Turkey showed the vaccine is more effective on this age group.
Lorenzana himself has defended the government’s use of CoronaVac in the inoculation drive, saying “fake news” about it discourages Filipinos from getting the vaccine.
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.