Duterte still won’t allow in-person classes despite delivery of COVID-19 vaccines
MANILA, Philippines — Despite the delivery on Sunday of donated COVID-19 vaccines in the country, President Rodrigo Duterte still rejected the resumption of face-to-face classes in the country.
“Not now. I cannot make that decision. It will place the children in jeopardy,” he said in a press conference after the turnover ceremony of 600,000 doses of Sinovac vaccines at Villamor Air Base in Pasay City.
“I am not ready to lose the lives of our young people, our children. No,” he said when asked the issue.
Duterte had earlier thumbed down a new proposal to resume in-person classes while the government’s mass immunization program against Covid-19 remained pending.
Senate President Vicente Sotto III earlier pushed for the resumption of face-to-face classes in areas with few or no COVID-19 cases.
He said he would propose on Monday a resolution that would urge the executive department to resume face-to-face classes to allow the country’s educational system to catch up with its Southeast Asian neighbors.
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.