Flood-prone Bataan hospital gets help from German gov’t | Inquirer News

Flood-prone Bataan hospital gets help from German gov’t

The Jose C. Payumo Memorial District Hospital (JCPMDH)

The Jose C. Payumo Memorial District Hospital (JCPMDH) in Dinalupihan, Bataan has received a grant from the German government to address its perennial problem of flooding during the rainy season. (Photo by Joanna Rose Aglibot)

DINALUPIHAN, Bataan –– A public hospital dedicated to treating coronavirus disease (COVID-19) patients in Bataan has been chosen to benefit from German flood-control technology, officials said.

Dr. Andreas Klippe, president and chief executive officer of Flood Control Asia RS Corp., said the Jose C. Payumo Memorial District Hospital (JCPMDH) here passed the strict selection criteria set by the company’s engineers.


During the project launch early this week, Klippe noted the severe flooding conditions experienced by JCPMDH that hamper the delivery of basic health services.

Engr. Enrico Yuzon, provincial engineer of Bataan, said during heavy rainfall, floodwater would submerge the hospital’s surroundings by an average of 1.5 meters.


The floodwater would make it virtually impossible for doctors and hospital staff to effectively care for their patients, especially those requiring critical treatment, Yuzon said.

“Nobody knows what the future will bring to us and what will happen to this country. Flooding usually happens in some hospitals during the rainy season, and that is nothing new,” Klippe said.

JCPMDH, located in Barangay San Ramon in Dinalupihan town, is a 70-bed hospital designated for treating COVID-19 patients. It has also been recently designated as an HIV-treatment facility.

Klippe said JCPMDH is the second hospital in the country to get such a grant. The first one is the Philippine General Hospital (PGH) in Manila.

“Flood problems aggravate the existing problem and damage the equipment, and you cannot move the equipment from the ground floor to the upper floor. Of course, one of the worst things often neglected is you have a higher risk of infection,” Klippe said.

Gov. Albert Garcia, who expressed his gratitude to the German government, said the grant would make JCPMDH more efficient and responsive to the health care needs of Bataan residents.

About 80 percent of the financial grant will be donated by the German government, while the remaining 20 percent will be shouldered by Flood Control Asia RS Corp.


News handpicked by our editors

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Bataan, Coronavirus, coronavirus disease, COVID-19, Flood, German flood-control technology, Philippine news updates, Public Hospital, Regions
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

News that matters

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

© Copyright 1997-2023 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.