DPWH says over 700 projects completed in Ilocos Region despite pandemic threat
MANILA, Philippines — There are 750 infrastructure projects that have been completed in the Ilocos Region for 2020 even with the COVID-19 pandemic looming over the country, the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) said.
In a report on Wednesday, DPWH said that some of the 750 finished projects include the following:
– 94 road construction and improvement
– 50 bridge construction works
– 32 bridge repair and retrofitting
– 65 flood control projects
– 403 local infrastructure projects
Secretary Mark Villar lauded the performance of DPWH’s Region I Office, saying that the people of the Ilocos Region are now reaping these projects’ effects.
“These infrastructure projects completed are now directly and indirectly benefiting Ilocanos,” Villar said in a statement.
According to DPWH, the road projects involved national, primary, secondary, and tertiary roads, translating to over 36.77 kilometers of brand-new, rehabilitated, and widened roads. Another 4.61 kilometers of roads were asphalted, while 2.95 kilometers of road drainage were opened.
All in all, the road projects had a combined cost of P1.97 billion.
“Other projects completed in Ilocos Region comprising Pangasinan, La Union, Ilocos Sur and Ilocos Norte that were funded by DPWH 2020 budget include 403 Local Infrastructure Projects (LIP), 74 local roads, drainage, flood-control projects under Various Infrastructure including Local Projects (VILP), 10 rainwater collector systems, and two (2) national building programs,” DPWH said.
“Also in 2020, various convergence and special support programs funded by the Department of Agriculture, Department of Education, Department of Tourism (Tourism Road Infrastructure Program-TRIP) and other government agencies were also built,” it added.
DPWH also noted that other infra projects were also completed:
– 15.25 kilometers of farm-to-market roads worth P149.5 million
– 15 school buildings worth P137.61 million
– 26 tourism road projects spanning 24.1 kilometers worth P495.9 million
– two access road to airports worth P115 million
– two access roads to seaports worth P118.2 million
– 14 Roads Leveraging Linkages of Industry and Trade Projects (ROLL-IT) spanning 11.52 kilometers of road worth P404.96 million
– eight DPWH-Department of National Defense Programs worth P144.98 million
– two evacuation centers worth P72 million
– 21 disaster-related rehabilitation projects worth P545.81 million
– conversion of 15 evacuation centers and 15 local buildings as COVID-19 facilities
Villar assured that more projects would be completed within the two remaining years of President Rodrigo Duterte’s administration.
“With the Build Build Build Program, we hope to complete more projects in the years to come,” he added.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.