Sinas: Manhunt underway for ex-cops in Jolo shooting of Army men | Inquirer News
Close  

Sinas: Manhunt underway for ex-cops in Jolo shooting of Army men

/ 02:32 PM January 25, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — Authorities are still searching for the dismissed policemen who were accused of murdering four Army intelligence operatives in Jolo, Sulu, in June 2020, Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Police General Debold Sinas said Monday.

The nine policemen were released by the PNP from custody early this month after they were dismissed from service because there had been no warrant of arrest for them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Sinas said some of the dismissed policemen expressed their intent to surrender instead, but he declined to say how many they were.

“We are negotiating for some na ‘yung gustong mag surrender na nakipag negotiate na i-assure ‘yung safety nila,” he told reporters at Camp Bagong Diwa in Taguig City.

FEATURED STORIES

“Ang sabi ko as long as they will surrender wala akong problema. But the manhunt is still ongoing,” he said.

Tracker teams from the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group, Intelligence Group, and Police Regional Office – Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao were deployed in Jolo to search for the former police personnel, Sinas said.

The Department of Justice (DOJ)had filed a case of multiple murder against the dismissed policemen on January 4, but the warrant of arrest was belatedly issued due to the COVID-19 lockdown in Jolo. They were released by PNP despite requests by DOJ to keep them in custody.

The PNP said they let go of the former policemen because they were avoiding the possibility of being accused of arbitrary detention.

Four Army intelligence officers on the trail of suspected terrorists were shot dead by policemen at a checkpoint in Sulu in June 2020 in what police had initially described as a “misencounter” but which the military said was murder.

KGA

RELATED STORIES

Army loses track of 2 Jolo bombers after agents’ slay

Release of cops in Jolo killing of Army intel officers dismays AFP chief
AFP urges ex-cops tagged in Jolo killing of 4 soldiers to surrender

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Abu Sayyaf Group, AFP, Army intelligence, Debold Sinas, DoJ, Jolo shooting, Manhunt, PNP‎
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.