SC resets oral arguments on 37 pleas vs terror law
MANILA, Philippines — The Supreme Court on Friday canceled the much-awaited oral arguments next week on the 37 petitions questioning the constitutionality of the antiterror law after several staffers, including the assistant solicitor general, of Solicitor General Jose Calida allegedly tested positive for the new coronavirus.
It was not clear why Calida’s subordinates got tested for coronavirus since the high tribunal had earlier set the test to be done within 72 hours, or three days, before the proceedings on Jan. 19.
In a single-page notice, clerk of court Edgar Aricheta said the magistrates moved the open-court discussions to Feb. 2 on the petitions against Republic Act No. 11479, or the Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020.
“No further postponement will be allowed,” Aricheta said. —Marlon Ramos
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.