N. Korea requests vaccine from global group despite zero COVID-19 claims | Inquirer News
Close  

N. Korea requests vaccine from global group despite zero COVID-19 claims

/ 05:35 PM January 05, 2021
kim jong-un north korea

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un chairs a politburo meeting Dec. 29, 2020. (KCNA-Yonhap)

SEOUL — North Korea has sent an application to secure a coronavirus vaccine supply from a global group that helps low-income countries with inoculations, the Wall Street Journal said Monday, citing sources familiar with the matter, adding it has reached out to several European embassies asking about vaccines.

Gavi, an international vaccine alliance that helps impoverished countries vaccinate their people, declined to comment on North Korea’s application. The group is assessing the demand in different countries and expects to provide an update early this year, the report said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Gavi said last month that it had received vaccine requests from 86 of 92 low-income countries eligible for the COVAX Advance Market Commitment program, which strives for the equitable distribution of vaccines. North Korea is part of that group.

North Korea could receive vaccines in the first half of 2021. A Gavi spokesman told Radio Free Asia that the group plans to deliver vaccines in the first half of this year to all countries who have requested doses within the timeframe.

FEATURED STORIES

Pyongyang, which still claims zero COVID-19 cases, said it had tested nearly 12,000 people through Dec. 17, according to the World Health Organization. South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha described the claim as “hard to believe,” with health experts discrediting the assertion.

Leader Kim Jong-un is anxious to see the pandemic not disrupt his party congress slated for early this month, where he is to set major economic and foreign policies that will dictate his engagement with the incoming Biden administration in the US.

Pyongyang, which is single-mindedly focused on relief from US-led sanctions over its nuclear weapons program, has been unusually quiet on Washington since the November election.

Meanwhile, Gen. Robert Abrams, the top US military commander in charge of the 28,500 American troops stationed here, said he sees no imminent sign of a North Korean provocation in a videoconference hosted by the Institute for Corean-American Studies on Monday.

“I’d say that we’re not seeing any indicators that suggest that there would be a major provocation. But that’s today. That could change next week, right. We know that the eighth Korean Workers Party’s Congress is going to meet here soon.”

The commander stressed that the Combined Forces Command between Seoul and Washington stand ready for any contingency or for any provocations from Pyongyang, which he said has been expanding its weapons program since Kim came to power in 2012.

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Coronavirus, coronavirus outbreak, coronavirus pandemic, COVID-19, COVID-19 Vaccine, North korea
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.