Duque: Gov't hospitals ready to take in patients with firecracker-related injuries | Inquirer News
Close  

Duque: Gov’t hospitals ready to take in patients with firecracker-related injuries

By: - Content Researcher/Writer / @CeBacligINQ
/ 06:12 PM December 31, 2020
Duque: Travel ban to be considered in time of community transmission of new COVID strain in UK

Screengrab from Kapihan sa Manila Bay video interview.

MANILA, Philippines — Health Secretary Francisco Duque III on Thursday said government hospitals are prepared for patients with firecracker-related injuries amid the pandemic this New Year.

Duque made rounds in the Quezon Memorial Medical Center (QMMC) in Quezon City a few hours before New Year’s eve to ensure the preparedness of the hospital’s emergency rooms. He also met some of the doctors, nurses, and medical staff.

ADVERTISEMENT

“They are fully prepared to manage whatever emergencies… We see that the ERs [emergency rooms] of the hospitals — Jose R.Reyes Memorial Medical Center, Rizal Medical Center, East Avenue Medical Center, and Quezon Memorial Medical Center — everybody is ready to provide quality emergency care,” said Duque.

“We have seen the levels of preparation. It has become better each year, there is evidence of improvement and progress in the way things are being provided, the care,” he added.

FEATURED STORIES

The Metro Manila Council (MMC), which is composed of the 17 mayors in Metro Manila, recently imposed a resolution banning the manufacture, sale, and use of firecrackers in the National Capital Region (NCR).

Aside from preventing firecracker-related injuries in 2021, the decision was made to ensure that the public will follow the COVID-19 health protocols, especially physical distancing, whilst celebrating the upcoming year.

DOH reported a 35 percent decrease in firecracker-related injuries in January. According to the health department’s data, there were only 164 documented cases nationwide, 87 cases lower than the 251 cases reported last year.

JPV

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: COVID-19, Department of Health, DoH, Firecracker, Franciso Duque III, New Year
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.