Duterte feels for Bocaue folks vs fireworks ban but says public health is priority | Inquirer News
Close  

Duterte feels for Bocaue folks vs fireworks ban but says public health is priority

By: - Reporter / @ConsINQ
/ 01:42 AM December 22, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte said he understands that fireworks manufacturers need livelihood but he also stressed that public safety against hazards of fireworks must still be prioritized.

“Iyan ang problema. Alam ko iyong Bocaue, [Bulacan] I really understand you. I might even sympathize with you. [The] Loss of earnings and you’re driven out of business,” Duterte said in a recorded message aired on television Monday night, referring to Bocaue town in Bulacan, dubbed as the country’s firecracker capital.

ADVERTISEMENT

(That’s the problem. I know Bocaue I understand you. I might even sympthaize with you for the loss of earning and you’re driven out of business.)

“But the problem is the higher duty of government is to protect public interest, public health. Sinabi ko it is a health issue kasi kapag na-ospital ka, nabulag ka, o you get burned all over. […] ‘We don’t care na basta binili na tapos na.’ Hindi pwede ganoon. Dapat ‘yan with every product that is sold to the public, the government must have intervention,” he added.

FEATURED STORIES

(I said it is a health issue because you might go to the hospital, you might go blind, get burned all over. We cannot say thatjust because we bought that then it’s over. That cannot be. Every product sold to the public must have government intervention.)

“Why would I allow a product that is a hazard to the health and life and probably losing your life or limb. So ako nagpaka-worker lang talaga ako. Iniisip ko ‘yan, panahon na siguro you shift to another or look for something to use the powders there,” he further said.

(I just had to be a worker. I thought of that, maybe it is time we shift or look for something that would make use of the powders there.)

So far, the 17 mayors of the National Capital Region have agreed to prohibit the sale and use of all kinds of firecrackers this year. https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1374227/firecrackers-banned-in-metro-manila-ncrpo-chief#ixzz6hHQmojYw

However, several Bulacan officials have appealed to the national government to not implement a firecracker ban as it would affect the livelihood of the fireworks industry. https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1374074/bulacan-appeals-to-duterte-not-to-ban-fireworks

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: ban, Bocaue, Bulacan, Culture, Firecrackers, fireworks, Health, Joel Villanueva, New Year, Rodrigo Duterte, Safety, Tradition
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.