Truck ban back on Dec. 14 to ease Xmas season Metro traffic
MANILA, Philippines — The truck ban will resume on Monday, Dec. 14 in Metro Manila to ease traffic congestion this holiday season, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) said Thursday.
“Vehicles traveling on the streets of Metro Manila increase as Christmas approaches so we will return the implementation of the truck ban beginning Monday to help ease traffic,” MMDA General Manager Jojo Garcia said in a statement.
Garcia said large trucks are prohibited along major roads in Metro Manila from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. from Monday to Saturday.
The truck ban is suspended on Sundays and holidays on major roads, except on some parts of Edsa.
On Edsa, trucks are not allowed from the Magallanes Interchange in Makati City to North Avenue in Quezon City, 24 hours from Monday to Sunday.
The MMDA previously lifted the truck ban policy on major roads to ensure the swift flow of essential services and goods during the pandemic.
The MMDA however said that the Unified Vehicular Volume Reduction Program (UVVRP) or the “number coding” scheme, will remain suspended for the duration of the community quarantine. Only Makati City has its own modified number coding scheme, which was implemented when Metro Manila was placed in a less strict community quarantine last June 1.