PNP forms board of inquiry to probe cops’ possible lapses in Datu Piang attack
MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Tuesday created a board of inquiry (BOI) to look into possible lapses of authorities in its response to the Dec. 3 terrorist group’s attack at Datu Piang, Maguindanao.
PNP chief Police General Debold Sinas revealed that the BOI, led by Police Major General Marni Marcos, will also determine what really happened during the harassment of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) at the Maguindanao town.
“The purpose of the BOI, they have specific functions to determine what really transpired in the harassment also to determine if there are administrative, operational lapses of our personnel there,” Sinas said during the press briefing at Camp Crame, Quezon City
“They are likewise to determine if there are intelligence reports received or if there are lapses,” he further said.
Last week, police said around 50 BIFF gunmen laid siege to Datu Piang police station where a police car was burned.
Datu Piang police chief Captain Israel Bayona was relieved on Monday, following the BIFF’s attack.
PNP previously said the local terrorist group’s grudge against Bayona could be one of the motives in the Datu Piang terrorist attack.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.