Los Angeles virus restrictions to halt nearly all gatherings | Inquirer News
Close  

Los Angeles virus restrictions to halt nearly all gatherings

/ 10:16 AM November 28, 2020
los angeles covid-19 retrictions

Passengers check-in for a United Airlines flight at Los Angeles International Airport ahead of the Thanksgiving holiday in Los Angeles, California, November 25, 2020. – US health authorities cautioned Americans on traveling for the Thanksgiving holiday, as the coronavirus spreads out of control. The recommendation was issued by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the government’s health protection agency. (Photo by Patrick T. Fallon / AFP)

LOS ANGELES , United States  – Los Angeles county on Friday announced a temporary ban on gatherings of people from different households under a new “safer-at-home order” triggered by a spike in Covid-19 cases, with religious services and protests exempt.

The order affecting the United States’ second-largest city will take effect Monday and last at least three weeks, until December 20, the county’s public health department said.

ADVERTISEMENT

“In the new Order that goes into effect on Monday, residents are advised to stay home as much as possible,” said a statement.

“All public and private gatherings with individuals not in your household are prohibited, except for faith based services and protests, which are constitutionally protected rights,” it added.

FEATURED STORIES

Densely populated Los Angeles county has suffered over 7,600 coronavirus deaths — more than a third of California’s fatalities — although Covid-19 is increasingly prevalent in the Golden State’s remote rural areas.

California last week imposed a night-time curfew across much of the state, while Los Angeles county on Wednesday barred dining at restaurants but allowed delivery to continue.

The order comes as Los Angeles county’s average new daily cases passed 4,500 for the week, triggering the tougher measures.

The “safer-at-home” measures are not as severe as the city’s first lockdown in March, which saw almost all businesses close their physical premises.

But the new order reduces occupancy limits at various businesses that can remain open, including shops, spa and libraries.

All schools can remain open unless they record outbreaks.

“These targeted measures are in effect for the next three weeks and still allow for many essential and non-essential activities where residents are always masked and distanced,” said public health director Barbara Ferrer.

“We know we are asking a lot from so many who have been sacrificing for months on end and we hope that L.A. County residents continue following Public Health safety measures that we know can slow the spread.”

gsg

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: COVID-19, LA, Los Angeles, restrictions, US, Virus
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.