DOH chief warns of possible uptick in COVID-19 cases after holidays
MANILA, Philippines — Health Secretary Francisco Duque III warned the public on Monday against complacency during the holiday season as this could result in an increase in COVID-19 cases.
The Department of Health will come up with a contingency plan for a “post-holiday season surge” in coronavirus infections nationwide, Duque said in a pre-recorded meeting led by President Rodrigo Duterte that was aired late Monday night.
“I want to remind everyone that, while the number of cases continues to decrease, this should not be a reason for us to be complacent,“ Duque said in Filipino.
He reminded the public to continue observing minimum health standards like wearing face masks and face shields, observing physical distancing, and frequent hand washing during the holidays.
New cases of COVID-19 nationwide have remained below 2,000 in the last two weeks.
The Philippines has so far recorded 420,614 COVID-19 cases with 8,173 deaths and 386,604 recoveries.
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.