DOH: Don’t use generators inside house
MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Health on Monday reminded the public not to use generators inside their houses as this may lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire issued the reminder following reports that families in Bicol Region used their generators inside their homes which led to the demise of some family members.
“Noong nagkaroon ng bagyo at mayroon mga pamilya dito Region V na naglagay ng generator sets sa loob ng kanilang bahay,” she said in an online media forum.
“This has affected the family kung saan nagkaroon din ng namatay na miyembro ng pamilya,” she added.
She reminded the public to situate their power generators 20 feet outside of the house and not put it inside an enclosed setting.
Vergeire noted that power generators emit exhausts that can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is also odorless so people may not be able to realize they are already inhaling it.
If possible, the public should instead use battery-generated power generators which are safer, she added.
“Kung sakaling kailangan gumamit ng generator during these times of calamities, maaari lang po na wag na ilagay sa loob ng bahay dahil ito ay nakakapag-cause ng harm sa ating kababayan,” she added.
The onslaught of typhoon Ulysses last week has caused massive power outages in parts of the country.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.