Año: Gag order vs Parlade red-tagging not fair, but he must show proof
MANILA, Philippines — Interior Secretary Eduardo Año on Wednesday said it is “unfair” to give a gag order to Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Southern Luzon Command chief Lt. Gen. Antonio Parlade Jr. despite the latter’s controversial statements against celebrities.
“Gen. Parlade is one of the best officers in the Armed Forces of the Philippines. I will just caution him to go into factual details so that it would stand. Do not make generalization and he can present evidence in the bar of opinion or in the court,” Año said over ABS-CBN News Channel when asked if Parlade should “shut up” despite accusing the Gabriela Party-list as a terrorist front.
“Kailangan talaga may pinanghahawakan kang ebidensya (It is a must that you provide evidence) and we have former rebels who can also speak up to support Gen. Parlade,” Año said.
“So iyon ang masasabi ko (So that’s what I am saying). It should be factual but you know giving a gag order to Parlade is also not fair also because he is a very effective communicator and very good AFP officer,” he went on.
Parlade is under fire due for his remarks about Kapamilya actress Liza Soberano, whom he cautioned against her involvement with Gabriela Women’s Party-list. But Parlade’s message was viewed by many as a veiled threat.
He also accused actress Angel Locsin of not revealing the alleged membership of her sister, Ella Colmenares, with the New People’s Army. They both denied the accusation.
Defense chief Delfin Lorenzana also previously warned Parlade that he should not talk about his allegations against personalities if he has no evidence to prove it.
“Ang thoughts ko diyan, is if wala pang ebidensya [if there is no evidence yet], do not talk about it,” Lorenzana said.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.