Duterte orders government-wide probe of corruption
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered the Department of Justice (DOJ) to extend its probe on corruption beyond the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) mess, to cover the entire government bureaucracy.
“I hope all government workers, officials are listening. This is a memorandum from me, the President, to Sec. Menardo Guevarra, Department of Justice. Ang subject is [to] investigate allegations of corruption in the entire government. Lahat,” Duterte said in a taped speech aired Tuesday.
“The DOJ shall have the authority to decide which allegation to investigate taking into consideration the gravity thereof and their impact on the delivery of government service,” he added.
The President also authorized the DOJ to create as many panels that it deems necessary and invite or direct other government agencies to be part of such panels.
“This directive shall remain in effect until June 30 of 2022, pag-alis ko, unless sooner lifted or revoked,” Duterte said.
Previously, Duterte said he had offered to resign because of endless corruption in government.
The President also said he would be willing to appear before Congress to discuss how they could fight corruption.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.