Palace: Probe on 2019 SEA Games spending up to House
MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang said Sunday that the conduct of an investigation into the use of government funds for the Philippines’ hosting of the 30th Southeast Asian (SEA) Games last year is up to the House of Representatives.
Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque issued the statement amid calls for a deeper probe into the alleged irregularities that marred the country’s hosting of the 2019 SEA Games, particularly the issue on the Philippine SEA Games Organizing Committee’s (Phisgoc) P387-million debt to the suppliers.
Roque noted that the Office of the Ombudsman has already created a panel to look into the issue.
“We welcome this move of the OMB in the same way that we leave the matter to the House of Representatives to conduct an investigation, if need be, on the use of government funds during last year’s SEA Games,” Roque said in a statement.
He likewise claimed that that the successful hosting of the sporting event SEA Games “showcased not only our local athletes at their best but also demonstrated our successful hosting of a world-class sporting event.”
“Let us, therefore, not dishonor the men and women who gave honor and glory to the country by engaging in political innuendos and witch hunts,” the Palace official said.
In a recent Senate budget hearing of the Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) and Games and Amusement Board, PSC Executive Director Guillermo Iroy said the PSC has been receiving demand letters from suppliers asking the agency to pay its outstanding debt amounting to P387 million.
Speaker Lord Allan Velasco said he was open to an investigation on Phisgoc, which was chaired by then Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.