Duterte opposes charges for beep card, says Palace | Inquirer News
Close  

Duterte opposes charges for beep card, says Palace

By: - Reporter / @KAguilarINQ
/ 02:56 PM October 05, 2020

NO BEEP CARD, NO RIDE POLICY / OCTOBER 1, 2020 Passengers use beep cards to pay on EDSA Carousel buses in Paranaque Integrated Terminal Exchange in Paranaque City. Starting October 1, 2020, the terminal will strictly implement the ‘No Beep card, No Ride Policy’ to minimize physical contacts as part of precautionary measures against the spread of COVID19.
INQUIRER PHOTO / RICHARD A. REYES

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte is against the imposition of new charges for public transportation using beep cards, Malacañang said Monday.

Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said the President sympathized with indigent Filipinos who had been caught unawares when the cashless payments in buses was implemented.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Ang pagkakaalam ko po, ang naging damdamin ng President ay tutol din siya dyan sa binabayaran na beep card,” Roque said in an online briefing.

(From what I know, the President is against the charge for a beep card.)

FEATURED STORIES

“Nahabag po talaga ang Presidente doon sa isang balita na maraming mga naghihirap nating mga kababayan ang nagulat dahil ang pera nila ay sapat lamang sa pamasahe at pagkain para sa araw na ‘yon,” he added.

(The President sympathizes with our countrymen who were surprised because their money was only enough for fare and food for that day.)

Many commuters lamented the sudden implementation of cashless payments in buses where fare cards or beep cards were sold for P180, or P100 for the card and only P80 load.

This prompted the Department of Transportation to suspend the mandatory use of beep cards.

“Itong pagsuspinde ng gamit ng beep card altogether, ay patunay na nakikinig ang gobyerno sa taumbayan at may puso itong administrasyon na ito,” Roque said.

(The suspension of the beep card use altogether is proof that the government is listening and this administration has a heart.)

Asked if the government is willing to shoulder the fee for beep cards, Roque said the DOTr is studying the matter and noted that the suspension of its mandatory use would be “enough” for now.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Tingin ko sapat na muna yan para ma-address yung immediate issue na karagdagang hirap yan sa mga naghihirap na ating kababayan sa gitna ng pandemya,” Roque said.

(I think that’s enough to address the immediate issue of more burden to our countrymen who are already having a hard time in the middle of a pandemic.)

EDV

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Beep card, cashless payment, commuter, Department of Transportation, DoTr, Malacañang, Palace, public transportation, Rodrigo Duterte
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.