Duterte to extend state of calamity in PH as COVID-19 crisis persists
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte will “definitely” extend the declaration of a state of calamity in the Philippines amid the ongoing coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic, his spokesperson said Thursday.
Duterte declared a state of calamity in the entire country on March 17. The declaration is set to expire this month.
“It’s in the desk of the President, probably signed by now, on its way down to the Office of the Executive Secretary,” presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said in a televised Palace press briefing.
The declaration allowed local government units (LGUs) to access quick response funds during emergency situations.
The Philippines so far has a total of 272,934 confirmed COVID-19 cases, the highest in the entire Southeast Asian region. Of the total cases, 207,858 have recovered while 4,732 have died.
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.