Palace: Duterte still vs RevGov but open to public discussions on issue
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte still believes that a revolutionary government is not needed and that he is only open to public discourse with sectors who believe it can address their grievances, Malacañang said Tuesday.
“Nananatili pa rin po ang paninindigan ni President na hindi po kinakailangan ng revolutionary government sa ngayon dahil siya po ay isang constitutional government,” presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said in an online briefing.
(The President still believes that a revolutionary government is not needed because he is a constitutional government.)
“Pero kung merong mga tao, mga sektor na merong mga hinanakit, tingin nila kinakailangan ng revolutionary government para ma-address itong mga hinanakit nila, diyan po papasok ‘yung diskurso na pampubliko sa mga issues na mahalaga sa ating mga pang araw-araw na buhay bilang isang bansa,” he explained.
(But if there are people, sectors who have grievances and they think that a revolutionary government can address it, that’s where the public discourse of issues that is important to our everyday lives will come in.)
During his taped address to the nation on Monday night, Duterte said the proposed revolutionary government should be publicly discussed.
“Sabi ko nga iyong revolutionary government should not be discussed in sub rosa (secrecy). It should be discussed publicly, including the military,” Duterte said.
(Revolutionary government should not be discussed in secrecy. It should be discussed publicly, including the military.)
“If the troops do not want it, they should say so and explain. Eh kung mayroon rin silang gustong pagbabago, then let us hear them out,” he added.
(If the troops do not want it, they should say so and explain. If they also want something changed, then let’s hear them out.)
Duterte had already distanced himself from the supposed clamors of his supporters to establish a revolutionary government where he will also be designated as the leader.
Earlier, a group called Mayor Rodrigo Roa Duterte-National Executive Coordinating Committee (MRRD-NECC) launched the movement in support of a revolutionary government led by the Duterte administration as they firmly believe this arrangement could fast track the government’s shift to federalism.
Roque said the President is focused on addressing the COVID-19 pandemic, which has sickened over 220,000 people nationwide as of August 31.
Both the Philippine National Police and Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana also thumbed down MRRD-NECC’s call for a revolutionary government.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.