Woman, 54, listed as Maguindanao’s first COVID-19 fatality
COTABATO CITY—Health authorities in Maguindanao announced the death of a 54-year-old woman due to the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), the province’s first COVID-19 fatality.
Dr. Elizabeth Samama, Maguindanao provincial health chief, said the patient, a resident of Sultan Kudarat town in Maguindanao, was suffering from a chronic kidney disease and pulmonary tuberculosis.
She was admitted to a hospital in Cotabato City last Aug. 17 after complaining of weakness.
“She had myocardial infarction on the fourth day of admission,” Samama said. “She eventually expired due to severe pneumonia,” Samama added.
The patient was in Davao City two weeks earlier for medical consultation. While in Davao City, she tested positive for SARS Cov2, the virus that causes COVID-19, and had been referred to the Cotabato Regional and Medical Center (CRMC) for intensive care.
Samama said CRMC had confirmed the patient to be positive for the virus.
Protocol on safe management of bodies and burial of COVID-19 patients had been observed.
People who had close contact with the woman had been traced and subjected to tests.
Samama said her office had been closely working with the rural health unit of Sultan Kudarat town to continue monitoring persons who have had contact with the patient.
“We continually remind the public to continue observing minimum health protocols,” Samama said.
“Avoid non-essential travel, wear face masks and face shields, frequently wash your hands and observe physical distancing,” she added.
Maguindanao has 95 COVID-19 cases, so far.
A total of 595 COVID-19 cases have been reported across the Bangsamoro region. Lanao del Sur had the most cases, 251. The region has so far 15 COVID-19 fatalities.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.