4 dead, 3 suffer 'permanent visual impairment' after ingesting hand sanitizer | Inquirer News
Close  

4 dead, 3 suffer ‘permanent visual impairment’ after ingesting hand sanitizer

/ 05:49 PM August 06, 2020
hand sanitizer ge

The pandemic has killed at least 590,132 people worldwide since it surfaced in China late last year, and more than 13.8 million have been infected. Image: Maridav/IStock.com via AFP Relaxnews

Four people have died while three suffered from “permanent vision impairment” after ingesting methanol-contaminated hand sanitizer in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

A total of 15 people were hospitalized from May 1 to June 30 due to methanol poisoning in Arizona and New Mexico, the CDC reported yesterday, Aug. 5.

ADVERTISEMENT

The report comes as the demand for hand sanitizers and other disinfecting products increases while the world struggles against the COVID-19 pandemic.

Alcohol-based hand sanitizers should only contain ethanol or isopropanol, although some products that entered the US contain the highly dangerous methanol, or wood alcohol.

FEATURED STORIES

“Whereas early clinical effects of methanol and ethanol poisoning are similar (e.g., headache, blurred vision, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, loss of coordination, and decreased level of consciousness), persons with methanol poisoning might develop severe anion-gap metabolic acidosis, seizures, and blindness,” the CDC explained.

The CDC warns, however, that with or without methanol, hand sanitizers are never safe for ingesting as it could lead to severe illness and consequences including death.

All 15 cases were adults with a history of swallowing alcohol-based hand sanitizer products, according to the CDC. Six of them developed seizures during hospitalization, three of whom were among the four who died.

Among the patients, the CDC highlighted one case of an unidentified 44-year-old man, who admitted that he drank an unknown quantity of hand sanitizer with methanol a few days before seeking medical care.

The man was among those who developed seizures and was discharged from the hospital after six days with “near-total vision loss.”

Those who have been using the said products with methanol should stop using them immediately, the CDC advised. Methanol can be absorbed through the skin, although cases of such poisoning are rare.

Prior to the CDC’s report, the US Food and Drug Administration had already warned citizens about methanol-contaminated hand sanitizers after several brands were discovered to have entered the country.

ADVERTISEMENT

In the Philippines last December, an outbreak of methanol poisoning was also reported after several people drank lambanog in Quezon province.

At least 14 people died of poisoning, while over 500 individuals were hospitalized. High levels of methanol were found in the said alcoholic drink.  /ra

RELATED STORIES:

Thief steals hand sanitizer, cleaning supplies in restaurant break-in

Student suspended for selling ‘squirts’ of hand sanitizer amid coronavirus outbreak

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Alcohol, COVID-19, hand sanitizers, methanol, methanol poisoning, poisoning, United States
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.