Close  

Trump says Beirut blast ‘looks like a terrible attack’

/ 06:44 AM August 05, 2020

US President Donald Trump speaks to the press in the Brady Briefing Room of the White House in Washington, DC, on August 4, 2020. Photo by Brendan Smialowski / AFP

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump said Tuesday that US generals had told him that the powerful explosions which rocked Beirut appeared to have been caused by a “bomb of some kind.”

“It looks like a terrible attack,” Trump told reporters at the White House.

ADVERTISEMENT

“It would seem like it, based on the explosion,” Trump said. “I met with our generals and they feel that it was.

“This was not some kind of a manufacturing explosion type of event,” he said.

FEATURED STORIES

“It seems to be, according to them — they would know better than I would — but they seem to think it was an attack.

“It was a bomb of some kind.”

Two enormous explosions rocked Beirut’s port on Tuesday, killing at least 73 people and wounding thousands.

Lebanese Prime Minister Hassan Diab said that about 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate had been stored in the Beirut port warehouse that exploded.

RELATED VIDEO

ADVERTISEMENT
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Beirut explosions, Beirut Lebanon, United States, US Pres. Donald Trump
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.