outbrain
Close  

Duterte vows to procure nasal devices for COVID-19 patients — Palace

/ 04:54 PM July 16, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — President Duterte vowed to source out funds for the purchase of high-flow nasal cannula (HFNC) devices which health experts recommended to help provide relief to COVID-19 patients, Malacañang said Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT

In a televised Palace briefing, Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said Duterte, during a meeting in Malacañang on Wednesday night, had an “internal consultation” with experts from the University of the Philippines (UP) regarding the COVID-19 situation in the country.

Roque said the President asked the experts about the best potential care for coronavirus patients.

FEATURED STORIES

“Ang lumabas po ang pinakamabuti ay ‘yung tinatawag natin na, hindi po siya ventilator eh, high-flow nasal cannula. ‘Yan pala po ang pinakamabuti at hindi ang ventilators,” Roque said.

(According to the experts, the best care for patients is what we call, it’s not a ventilator, high-flow nassal cannula. That is the best possible care and not the ventilators.)

“Kaya nga lang po ito ay manufactured in New Zealand at konti lang ang supply. So ang sabi niya, hahanap tayo ng pera, bibili tayo ng pinakamaraming kaya nating bilhin na high-flow nassal cannula,” he added.

(However, it is manufactured in New Zealand and the supply is limited. So he said, we will look for funds and we will buy as many as we can.)

During the meeting, Duterte also asked the experts if they think the government can afford to further reopen the economy despite the continued increase in COVID-19 infection.

Roque said the UP experts agreed with the reopening of the economy provided that testing, isolation, and treatment will be expanded.

Duterte extended until July 31 the general community quarantine over Metro Manila and other areas in the country. The majority of the country is now under the most lenient modified general community quarantine except for Cebu City which is currently under the stricter modified enhanced community quarantine due to a spike of cases in the city.

ADVERTISEMENT

To date, there are 58,850 COVID-19 cases nationwide, of whom nearly half, or 29,015, are in Metro Manila.

Meanwhile, 20,976 patients have so far recovered and 1,614 have died.

EDV

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Coronavirus, coronavirus Philippines, COVID-19, health pandemic, high flow nasal cannula, Malacañang, NcoV, Outbreak, Rodrigo Duterte, ventilators
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.