Gov’t sets July 19 deadline for motorcycle barriers
Motorcycle owners have until July 19 to install any of the two barriers approved by the government if they want to carry backriders.
“As per Interior and Local Government [secretary] and [National Task Force] against COVID-19 vice chair Eduardo Año, we will continue monitoring and warning those without [a] barrier while citing or apprehending those with other violations,” Joint Task Force COVID Shield chief Police Lt. Gen. Guillermo Eleazar said in a statement on Tuesday.
He added that the given grace period was “enough time to comply” with the requirement, saying he had already coordinated with Philippine National Police chief Police Gen. Archie Francisco Gamboa about its enforcement.Mandatory use
The mandatory use of a barrier between a motorcycle driver and his passenger would be fully implemented on July 20, Eleazar said.
On Monday, Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said the National Task Force against COVID-19 had approved two barrier prototypes for tandem riding on motorcycles.
The first prototype was proposed by Bohol Gov. Arthur Yap where the motorcycle would have a plastic or plexiglass barrier with a steel frame between the driver and rider.
The other prototype designed by Angkas consisted of a barrier that could be worn by the driver like a backpack.
Eleazar urged all the motorcycle riders to strictly follow the approved designs, citing that “the set of rules for motorcycle back-riding is a balance between safety and the necessity of transportation.” INQ
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.