outbrain
Close  

164 cops, 77 Navy personnel positive for COVID-19 in Cebu

CEBU CITY –– At least 164 policemen and 77 personnel of the Philippine Navy have tested positive for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Cebu.

They were all isolated in their respective camps as of July 14.

ADVERTISEMENT

In Negros Oriental, at least 20 soldiers have also contracted the virus after they were deployed in Cebu City last month.

Dr. Liland Estacion, assistant provincial health officer, said the soldiers assigned at the Philippine Army’s 302nd Infantry Brigade, were recuperating at Camp Leon Kilat in Barangay Santa Cruz Viejo, Tanjay City.

FEATURED STORIES

Brigadier General Albert Ignatius Ferro, director of the Central Visayas police, said he felt very sad since several policemen were afflicted by the virus.

“There were sleepless nights. It was really hard to express what I feel. I am not even sure if these policemen will overcome the disease,” he said.

Ferro said he nonetheless felt relieved after 64 policemen, who contracted the virus, recovered from the illness.

These policemen were allowed to go home on Monday and will spend some time to rest before they go back to work.

“You cannot explain the joy of being a father to his children. I work so hard and I am passionate if the people affected are my men,” Ferro said.

Meanwhile, the delivery of supplies and other goods coming from the Naval Forces Central (Navforcen) in Lapu-Lapu City was halted until July 18, after the entire camp was placed under lockdown due to COVID-19 cases involving many of their personnel.

Lieutenant Commander Neil Rafael Ybera, public affairs officer of Navforcen, said members of their frontline units exhibited mild symptoms of COVID-19 last July 4.

ADVERTISEMENT

Although the activities at Navforcen were suspended, he said two of their teams assigned with the Lapu-Lapu City police would continue to operate as they were already deployed before the lockdown. They will, however, be tested for the virus in the coming days.

Ferro appealed to the public to help the government ward off COVID-19.

“The mindset in this medical health emergency is that everybody has the responsibility. It should not only be the police, military, and health workers who will be responsible. It should be the fight of every Filipino,” he said.

So far, three policemen in Cebu City have died due to COVID-19.

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Cebu, coronavirus disease, COVID-19, Philippine Navy, Philippine news updates, Policemen, Regions
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.