Eastern Visayas sees sharp fall in COVID-19 cases: From 646 to 36
TACLOBAN CITY—Eastern Visayas saw a sharp decline in its COVID-19 tally on Monday (July 13) when the number of cases fell from 646 to only 36.
The Department of Health (DOH) reported that 607 persons, who contracted the virus, had recovered while three died.
John Paul Roca, information officer of the DOH in the region, said majority of COVID-19 cases in Eastern Visayas were those of patients who had no or mild symptoms of the disease.
“We only have three severe cases,” he said.
Roca, however, reminded the public to strictly follow health protocols to stop the spread of the virus.
“The threat of COVID-19 is still in the Philippines and no vaccine has been discovered yet,” he said.
At least 22 of the cases were listed in Leyte province, eight in Southern Leyte, three in Samar, two in Northern Samar and one in Biliran.
The province of Eastern Samar has zero COVID-19 case.
At least 30 of the 36 cases in the region involved stranded individuals.
But Roca said results of 200 tests are still pending at the coronavirus testing center in Eastern Visayas Regional Medical Center.
Some samples for testing had been brought by local government units to Divine Word University Hospital in Tacloban City.
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.