outbrain
Close  

Palace: Easing of GCQ unlikely for Metro Manila after July 15

By: - Reporter / @KAguilarINQ
/ 02:31 PM July 13, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — It is unlikely that the general community quarantine (GCQ) imposed over Metro Manila will be eased after July 15, Malacañang said Monday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said downgrading the quarantine measure in Metro Manila to modified GCQ was not recommended in the recent Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases meeting.

“That was not part of any recommendation made, that’s all I can say, hangga’t ‘di po ina-announce ng Presidente,” Roque said in an online briefing.

FEATURED STORIES

(That was not part of any recommendation made, that’s all I can say until the President announces the new quarantine classifications.)

“At siguro po at this point, the data does not indicate na pupwede magluwag po at least sa Metro Manila, para lang po to manage expectations,” he added.

(Maybe at this point, the data does not indicate that we can ease restrictions in Metro Manila, just to manage expectations.)

President Rodrigo Duterte is expected to announce the new lockdown measures in various areas on Wednesday.

Chief implementor of the National Task Force on COVID-19 Secretary Carlito Galvez Jr. added that Metro Manila mayors have recommended the region be retained under GCQ.

“Nakita natin na yung mga hospital po sa Manila ay medyo napupuno po ang iba,” Galvez explained.

(We saw that some of the hospitals in Manila are slightly becoming full.)

ADVERTISEMENT

“Ang maganda dito sa NCR [National Capital Region], very collective po yung desisyon nila under the MMDA [Metropolitan Manila Development Authority]…Sabi nga po nila, one for all, all for one, kung ano ang desisyon ng isang city mayor, susundin po nila. Kung ano po ang desisyon ng IATF, susundin po nila,” he further said.

(What’s good here in NCR is they are very collective under the MMDA. One for all, all for one. The decision of one city mayor will be followed by all. Whatever the IATF decides, they will follow.)

Metro Manila mayors also floated the possibility of implementing a “hybrid” lockdown measure, Galvez said.

“Pero ang hinihiling po nila, magkaroon ng stricter control but we can open yung other economic activity. Kaya tinatawag nila na parang hybrid,” he explained.

(What they are also asking is to have stricter control while opening up other economic activity. That’s why it’s called hybrid.)

Metro Manila has been under GCQ since June 1.

Meanwhile, the Philippines has so far recorded 56,259 COVID-19 cases nationwide with 1,534 fatalities and 16,046 recoveries.

JPV

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: COVID-19, GCQ, general community quarantine, lockdown, Malacañang, Metro Manila, National Capital Region, NCR, Palace
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.