outbrain
Close  

2 of 3 key COVID-19 protocols listed by DOH barely enforced in Cebu

/ 08:20 PM July 06, 2020

CEBU CITY—Two out of three key recommendations by the Department of Health (DOH) in Central Visayas to contain coronavirus transmission in Cebu province have not been fully implemented by local government units.

Dr. Mary Jean Loreche, chief pathologist and spokesperson of the regional DOH office, said the health department gave at least three recommendations to the cities of Cebu, Mandaue and Lapu-Lapu.

ADVERTISEMENT

These are lockdown of areas with high COVID-19 cases, creation of isolation centers and location and immediate isolation of persons suspected of coronavirus infection.

At an online press conference on Monday (July 6), Loreche said only the creation of isolation centers had been fully implemented.

FEATURED STORIES

The recommendation to lock down areas with at least 25 COVID-19 cases had not been fully implemented in the villages, she said.

The lockdown, however, was carried out just the same by Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu, who had been appointed COVID-19 point person for Cebu by President Rodrigo Duterte last June 15.

The retrieval and immediate isolation of persons suspected of infection had been just partially implemented, said Loreche.

While some areas are locating persons suspected of infection, some of these persons are still allowed to mingle in their communities, Loreche said.

“Just my personal thought on this. I believe we here in Cebu City, are too complacent,” she said.

“The minimum health standards were not followed,” she added.

She said when Cebu City and other areas transitioned from general community quarantine (GCQ) to enhanced community quarantine the first time, “everybody was just out.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“Even when we were already placed again under ECQ, everybody still refuses to to do the minimum health standards,” Loreche said.

Loreche advised those with mild to moderate symptoms of COVID-19 to go to quarantine facilities instead of the hospitals to keep hospitals from filling up.

Occupancy rate of COVID-19 beds in private hospitals is now already 74.3 percent.

As of July 5, the DOH reported a total of 10,184 COVID-19 cases in the entire Cebu Island with 363 deaths and 3,494 recoveries.

Most of the infections were in Cebu City where there were 6,761 cases. Cebu province, on the other hand, has a total of 1,538 infections.

TSB

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: #COVID19PH, complacent, Coronavirus, coronavirus Philippines, Health, hospitals, lockdowns, pandemic, Quarantine
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.