7 soldiers test positive for COVID-19 in Negros Oriental
DUMAGUETE CITY — At least seven soldiers in Negros Oriental tested positive for the new coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
Dr. Liland Estacion, assistant provincial health officer, on Saturday said the seven soldiers of the Philippine Army’s 302nd Infantry Brigade were among the 11 new cases in the province.
The soldiers were deployed in Cebu last March to help implement the community quarantine measures in the island.
Estacion said the soldiers showed flu-like symptoms upon arrival in Negros Oriental late last month. They are currently isolated at their brigade’s headquarters at Camp Leon Kilat in Tanjay City.
Another uniformed personnel from Barangay Agan-an in Sibulan town also contracted the virus after being deployed in Cebu.
The three other new infections involved Negros Oriental repatriates who live in northern Guihulngan City, Jimalalud town, and Amlan town.
The Guihulngan City native is a 36-year-old male who is the son-in-law of another active case, a 79-year-old man. They were both repatriated from Barangay Tisa in Cebu City which recorded a spike in coronavirus cases.
The new case was admitted in a private hospital in this city.
Estacion, however, noted that she could not yet determine whether or not this new case is a result of a local transmission as the patient and his father-in-law are both repatriates.
The Jimalalud native, on the other hand, is a 20-year-old male from Barangay Cangharay. Swab samples were taken from the patient as he previously showed coronavirus antibodies in a rapid diagnostic test (RDT).
The Amlan native is a 36-year-old female from Barangay Silab who arrived in Negros Oriental with her family through a private van from Mandaue City, Cebu on June 25. She was advised to undergo testing as she showed symptoms of cough when she arrived.
She and her entire family are now under quarantine at the town’s government isolation facility. The municipal government earlier said it would have the patient’s family members undergo swab testing on Saturday, July 4.
A patient in this city was also reported to have recovered from the coronavirus after testing negative in a repeat swab test: a 33-year-old female from the village of Talay. Her 44-year-old boyfriend, however, remains infected with the coronavirus and is still undergoing treatment at a private hospital here.
Estacion reminded the public to avoid being complacent even as the province is now under a more relaxed modified general community quarantine (MGCQ).
“We should always wear masks, wash our hands, use alcohol, and observe physical distancing because this will make us less susceptible from contracting the disease or spreading it to others,” Estacion said.
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.