outbrain
Close  

DOH identifies 9 ’emerging hotspots’ in Mindanao

/ 05:34 PM June 30, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Health (DOH) on Tuesday identified nine (9) “emerging hotspots” of the coronavirus disease 2019 in Mindanao.

Health Secretary Maria Rosario Vergeire enumerated the southern region’s emerging COVID-19 hotspots as Bukidnon, Lanao Del Norte, and Misamis Occidental in Northern Mindanao; Davao Del Norte, Davao Del Sur, and Davao Oriental in Davao Region; South Cotabato and Sultan Kudarat in Soccsksargen, and; Maguindanao in Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Ito po ‘yung emerging hotspots in Mindanao na binabantayan din ng ating surveillance units sa ngayon dahil nga meron tayong mga kaso,” she said in an online press conference.

(These are emerging hotspots in Mindanao that our surveillance units are monitoring because of COVID-19 cases in these areas.)

FEATURED STORIES

Vergeire cited two considerations to call an area a hotspot: first, its “most basic definition” of an area that previously did not have COVID-19 cases before but suddenly recorded cases of infection; and second, an area where a “significant” number of additional cases are registered.

The health official said there could be several factors that led to the occurrence of confirmed cases in these areas but noted it is possible that individuals who came from Metro Manila and other places with COVID-19 and returned to these regions might have caused the spread of infection.

“Tandaan natin na ang mobility ng tao, especially when a person is coming from an area which has sustained community transition and then going inside an area na wala naman talagang maramihang kaso, maaaring contributor ‘yun because we know how the disease spreads,” Vergeire explained.

(Let us remember that the mobility of people, especially those coming from an area which has sustained community transition could be a contributor to the spread of the disease in these areas.)

DOH has already recorded 37,514 cases of COVID-19 in the country as of Tuesday, June 30. The number of recoveries was registered at 10,233 while the death toll now stands at 1,266.

KGA

RELATED STORIES

First coronavirus cases recorded in Mindanao, Visayas  – DOH

ADVERTISEMENT

DOH: Metro Manila still COVID-19 epicenter, Cebu City just a hotspot

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Coronavirus, coronavirus Philippines, COVID-19, DoH, hotspot, Mindanao
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.